OK, so I did a whole bunch of things in the last couple days that I’ve never done before. I’m trying to setup a server for our new business and it has taken me down some new roads. Here are all the new things I’ve done in the last 2 days:
- On my desktop I figured out how to run Apache as a front end to Squeak/Seaside so that Apache serves up the static content and Seaside serves up the dynamic content
- Got a VPS (virtual private server) account
- Figured out how to use Parallels and Plesk to setup a domain
- Using ssh to my new VPS running on CentOS I used rpm to install yum and several of it’s prerequisites
- Used yum to install KDE
- Used yum to install vncserver
- Used yum to install x11 fonts
- Downloaded, uploaded Squeak and installed it using the sh script included (chmod’ed all the right files)
- Started a vncserver and started Squeak
If it sounds like a bunch of Linux geeking it is – and I’m NOT a Linux geek. Before tonight I didn’t know what a rpm or yum was. I had never used Parallels and Plesk or installed anything on a Linux machine. I have never configured Apache before either.
What would I have done without google?