I recently bought a Brother MFC J825DW all-in-one printer/scanner/copier/fax machine. This is a wifi enabled printer so it made it possible for me to put the printer downstairs in the same room where we keep the kids’ computers. Now I don’t have to hear the loud printing noises in the middle of my work day. My wife is in school so she prints a lot – hundreds of pages of coursework for her classes. I was sick of leaving the room while I was on the phone to avoid the loud printer noises. Now the printer is downstairs closer to her and I am no longer tethered to the printer.
Here are my end of week one observations:
- Setup for wireless use was super easy and did NOT require tethering it to a computer
- Setup for Google Cloudprint was easy so I can print from my Android devices
- Ink is cheaper than my old HP and there are generic suppliers that make Ink VERY cheap. I’m not sure they work yet but I’m hoping they do.
- Setup on Ubuntu was easy
- Setup on RHEL was easy
- Setup on Windows was easy
- Print quality is just OK when on draft mode. Draft mode and fast printing is fast and faded because it uses less ink. I’m OK with the draft quality but I wish it was just a tad bit better. Nothing to complain about though.
- The printer doesn’t have any lights to tell you it is on – but it is on. A tiny led would have been nice – but I don’t mind now that I know it is on even when not lit up.
- The printer is more quiet than my old HP. I could hear the old HP from downstairs. This printer I cannot hear from upstairs. Sometimes I can barely hear it from the next room.
- So far I’m VERY happy with it