They’ve got filth and muck on them!

Today I fixed my sprinkler system.  I don’t know much about sprinkler systems but google is wise.  The first thing I fixed was a shorted out solenoid.  If I wiggled the wires to it, I could get it to work for short periods of time.  I picked up a universal replacement from Lowes like this one.  After my tinkering I also noticed that other zones weren’t working properly and acting like they lacked water pressure.  This was a problem that I caused by replacing the bad solenoid and letting dirt get in the connection.  This prevented the solenoid from properly shutting the valve which left some water diverted to the first zone, thus decreasing the overall water pressure.  I removed the defective solenoid, shop-vac’ed the dirt out of the connection and put the replacement solenoid in place.  Then I stripped and connected the wires with waterproof wire nuts.  Ta da!  Now there was no more shorting out and I had full water pressure.

The next problem I fixed was the sprinkler head at the edge of the zone.  It was tilted in the grass so it only watered about half the zone.  I fixed that by just digging out the grass and dirt on one side, standing the sprinkler head up vertically and replacing the dirt on the other side to hold the sprinkler head in place.  That seems to have worked for now.  I’ll check it in a few days to make sure it is still upright.

Total cost was $14 for the solenoid and wire nuts and an hour of my time.  Now, hopefully I don’t have to think about the sprinkler system for another year!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s