Update: This does NOT seem to fix the issue and it does not always restore 3G. I have tried it several times and sometimes (like today) it doesn’t work at all. You can follow my progress (and pain) in this category: https://montykamath.wordpress.com/category/optimusvsucks/
OK, so I finally found a work around that makes my LG Optimus V (from Virgin Mobile) not suck. Before this work around I was constantly having my 3G connection drop and also burning through 50% of my battery in only a few hours.
After this work around I can go the entire day using about 60% of my battery and using 3G like crazy during the day with maybe an hour of actual talk.
My theory is that the 3G connection is confused so it keeps trying to connect to 3G which burns through the battery like crazy and it also causes the 3G connection to drop regularly.
To tell if you have the same problem run without the phone plugged in for an hour or two and then go to Home, Menu, Settings, About Phone, Battery Use, Cell Standby and see if the Time without signal is anywhere near 50%. Mine was always at 50% before this work around.
The work around is simply, albeit annoying. Here is what I did to my phone and my wife’s phone and now they both work great:
- After rebooting the phone, use the Network app by Philipp Mangelow to toggle the network type from CDMA auto (PRL) to CDMA
- Back out of the app
- Go back into the Network app and toggle the network type back from CDMA to CDMA auto (PRL)
- Switch to airplane mode by holding down the power button for a second or two and picking airplane mode
- Wake the phone back up and switch airplane mode off
- Now, if your 3G isn’t working, use the Android Assistant app to toggle 3G back on
- That’s it
These steps are way annoying to have to do, especially since you have to do this every time your phone reboots. But for me it is totally worth it. The 3G drops and battery drain were so bad I was about to return the phone. Luckily after googling around I found both of these tips and put together a sequence that actually seems to work for the 2 phones we own.
After this work around my Time without signal is zero – in fact it doesn’t even show time without signal = 0.
You can follow my progress (and pain) in this category: https://montykamath.wordpress.com/category/optimusvsucks/